The Special Cell for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak has been established under the directions of University Grants Commission (UGC). After the establishment of the Cell in the university, it specifically concentrated on the welfare of the SC/ST Students and Staff. The main aim of the Cell is to monitor the guidelines issued by the Ministry of Human Resource and Development (MHRD), the University Grants Commission and by the government of Haryana from time to time. The Cell ensures the effective implementation of the reservation policies in admissions in various courses, accommodation in the hostels, appointments to the teaching and non-teaching posts and maintenance of roster register in the University.
OUR VISION AND MISSION
To be an institution of excellence in higher education that continually responds to the changing social realities through the development and application of knowledge, towards creating social equality in the society that promotes and protects the Name of the University, dignity, equality, social justice and human rights for all, with special emphasis on marginalised communities.
- To implement the reservation policy for SC/STs in the University
- Collect data regarding the implementation of the policies in respect of admissions, appointments of teaching and non-teaching positions in the University, and analysis of the data showing the trends and changes towards fulfilling the required quota.
- To take such follow up measures for achieving the objectives and targets laid down for the purpose by the Government of India and the UGC.
- To implement and monitor the State Government Reservation Policy in the University and ensuring effective implementation of the policies, programmers and Schemes of the Government.
FUNCTIONING OF SC/ST CELL
- To collect an annual basis information/data regarding course-wise admissions and appointment of SC/ST communities in teaching and non-teaching posts in the Universities and Colleges in the forms prescribed by the UGC onward transmission of the same to the University Grants Commission and other authorities in stipulated time and to take follow up action, where required.
- To deal with representations received from Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes candidates regarding their admission, recruitment, promotion and other similar matters in Universities, Institutions and Colleges.
- Monitor the working of the remedial coaching scheme.
- Function as a Grievances Redressal Cell for the grievances of SC/ST students and employees of the university and render them necessary help in solving their academic as well as administrative problems.
- Maintain a complaint register for grievances of the students and employees belonging to SC/ST community, and any other work assigned from time to time to promote higher education among these communities suffering social, economic and educational deprivations.
Liaison Officer , SC/ST Cell
Mrs. Pratima Devi Ranga
Department of Law
Name & Designation
Prof. Rajbir Singh, Vice-Chancellor
Mrs. Pratima Devi Rangaj, Liaison Officer SC/ST Cell
Prof.S.P.Khatkar, Prof & Head, Dept. of Chemistry
Prof. (Mrs.) Poonam Datta Prof & Head Dept. Of English and Foreigh Languages
Dr. Satish Malik, Librarian
Prof.Karanvir Chamar, Prof Dept. Of Geography
Dr.Jagdeep Singla, Asstt. Prof. IMSAR
Dr. Netar Pal, Asstt. Prof. Dept.of Biotechnology
Dr.Ved parkash Sheoran, Principal, Pt.Neki Ram Gov. College Rohtak
Dr.B.K.Garg, Principal, Hindu College Sonepat
Dr.Satish Ahuja, Principal, DAV College Faridabad
Mr. Kuldip Singh
Mr. Anoop Singh
ACTIVITIES OF SC/ST CELL
The SC/ST Cell was established in the university to co-ordinate with the university authorities in the implementation of the various policies and programmes launched by the Central Government, UGC and State Government for the benefit of the SC/ST students. It also undertakes the activities to develop awareness among the SC/ST students, especially from the rural areas. The staff of the Cell is actively engaged in coordinating and solving the problems in matters of admissions. The Cell also announce details of government scholarships and fellowships through circulars to the SC/ST students. The Cell concentrates on accommodation of men and women students in hostels, and the implementation of the rules of reservation in appointments as well as in the allotment of quarters to SC/ST employees.
CONSTITUTIONAL SAFEGUARDS AND LEGISLATION FOR SCS/STS
Constitutional Safeguards According to the Constitution of India, which resolved India into a sovereign socialist secular democratic republic, Right to Equality is a Fundamental Right that includes the right to equality before law; Prohibition of discrimination (Article 15); equality of opportunities in matters of public employment (Article 16). The Constitution further specifies that this will not prevent the state from making special provisions for women, Children, Scheduled castes, and Scheduled tribes. Article 17 declares abolition of untouchability, forbidding its practice in any form. The Directive Principles of State Policy of the constitution include promotion of educational and economic interests of Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, and other weaker sections (Article 46). The Hindu religious institutions of public character are thrown open to all classes and sections of Hindus (Article 25b). Any disability, liability, restriction of conditions with regard to access to shops, Public restaurants, hotels, and places of public entertainment or use of wells, tanks, bathing ghats, roads, and places of public resort maintained wholly or partly out of state funds or dedicated to the use of general Public are removed according to Article 15(2). Article 16 and 355 permit the states to make reservation for backward classes in public services in case of inadequate representation. Tribal advisory councils and separate departments are set up in states to promote the welfare and safeguard the interests of the Tribals (Article 164 and 338 and Fifth Scheduled). Article 244 and Fifth and Sixth Schedules make special provision for administration and control of scheduled and tribal areas. The Reservation Policy is a Constitutional device in the creation of a society of equals. It is an exception to the principle of equality, as the principle of equality operates within the equals and to equate equals, with unequal’s is to perpetuate inequality. Reservation for SCs and STs is founded upon the ideology of compensatory justice for their sufferings for ages for no fault of theirs.
The Protection of Civil Rights Act 1955 (earlier Untouchability Offences Act, 1955), which is in force since 1976, provides for penalties for preventing any person on grounds of untouchability, from enjoying the rights accruing on account of abolition of untouchability. The Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act of 1989 specifies the offences which are considered as atrocities and provides for deterrent punishments of commission of the same. Comprehensive Rules prepared under this Act provide for relief and rehabilitation of the affected persons and envisage preventive measures. By virtue of the Constitution (65th Amendment) Act of 1990, the Special Post under Article 338 of the Constitution has been substituted by the National Commission for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, mainly to investigate and monitor all matters relating to the safeguards to SCs/STs under the Constitution and laws.
The following Educational Schemes are uploaded by the Welfare of Scheduled Caste & Backward Classes Department, Government of Haryana, on their portal:
- Dr Ambedkar Medhavi Chhattar Sansodhit Yojna
- Post Matric Scholarship Scheme for SC students
- Post Matric Scholarship Scheme for BC students
- Financial Assistance for Higher Competitive entrance examinations to SC/BC candidates through private institutions
- Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhattrawas Yojna
- Scheme of Hostels For Other Backward Classes (OBC) Boys And Girls
- Detailed Pre-Matric Scholarship Scheme.
- Central Sector Scheme of Up gradation Of Merit Of SC/ST Students
- Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhattrawas
- Annusuchit Jati Chhattra Ucch Shiksha Protsahan Yojna